Deathtraps and Dungeons

Friday, February 5, 2021

Starship Traveller

Background - 

So only book four and Steve Jackson is pushing the envelope again and going for a Sci-Fi theme.  I have to admit I really never enjoyed the Sci-Fi ones quite as much.  Its called Fighting Fantasy for a reason.  So I have never played Starship Traveller before.  Reading why Steve moved to a Sci-Fi setting he says he just liked to innovate.  But I think I can deduce the real reason.  Picture Steve and Ian reviewing the success of their first individual game books....

Ian "So Steve we need to do two more books, I am thinking of what to do next."

Steve mumbling "Think your so clever don't you"

Ian "What's that?"

Steve "Nothing"

Ian "No go on, somethings obviously up, what is it?"

Steve "Well I introduced a magic system in Citadel but you had to one up me by setting your adventure in Forest of Doom outdoors.  You are always trying to show me up."

Ian "What do you mean?"

Steve "Well like the time I went backpacking in Nepal, then you went off to backpack in Thailand.  You had never heard of backpacking before then!"

Ian "I'm sorry Steve I never knew you felt so strongly about this.  Listen you can pick the next setting first."

Steve "Oh you would like that wouldn't you, I will pick something first and you will just do something better!  No, you pick first!"

Ian "Ok then, well I was thinking of a city!"

Steve "A city, haha well I see your city and I raise you!  I raise you a planet!  No, multiple planets a whole galaxy!"

Ian "Now come on Steve be sensible"

Steve runs off slamming the door behind him "Mwhahahahahah"

Ian just sits their shaking his head before starting on city of thieves.

Steve sits down at his writing desk "Crap"

Covers - 




The original cover is ok.  It features the manslayer robot doing what it does best, slaying some men.  One guy is already down and the other guy is about to get choke slammed.  Not sure what's going on the bottom left hand corner.  The guy is obviously knocked down but looks like he is trying to tackle his friend to the ground in a moment of if I am going down so are you.


By gawwwd he choke slammed him straight to hell!







They obviously liked it though as when it came to slapping the green zigzag or the gold dragon on the reprints they kept the original cover.















Wizard however would redo the cover.  So in this one the arena does look better and you can see the aliens' watching in the foreground to make it more spacey!  The Robot though, sigh.  It looks more like a giant Cylon from Battlestar Galactica.  Definitely a downgrade from the original.  Like going from using Windows 10 back to Windows 95.  I do like the humans trying to do a Star Wars style rope around the AT-ATs legs though.  Managed to get two Sci Fi franchises in one cover!











In good news though the US cover is back and it does not disappoint.  These amuse me so much ill be sad when they stop.  This one has ripped off another sci-fi franchise, Lost in Space.  Even with their version of the robot they had.  Just to make it beyond any doubt you are in space the people are wearing spacesuits with bubble helmets.  The aliens though look like they are straight out of a fantasy gamebook.  But to be fair in the background is the titular spaceship!  Spoiler this is as good as it ever gets to look.








Premise - 

Well this book does not have a background section.  All you get is that you are the captain of the Starship Traveller, pride of the Astro Navy (Nothing like Starfleet).  Then it goes into a bunch of rules.  You are then told you are about to be flung through a black hole into unknown space and the only hope of return is to find a similar black hole.  I am not convinced that's how black holes work but until anyone goes into one I guess I can let it fly.

Playthrough - 

Ok this setup is very different to the previous books.  I need to roll up stats for my ship and crew as well as me!

Starship Traveller -  Weapons - 12 Shields - 15

Wow the starship really is the pride of the Astro Navy!  With a maximum Weapons score I know if diplomacy fails we will be able to blast any Klingons out of the sky.

Captain (Me) - Skill - 12 Stamina - 20

Great stats for me, I am glad that unlike most companies the cream has risen to the top of the Astro Navy.   (Honestly I had a whole thing planned about being incompetent compared to my crew so it was just like real life management).  

Science Officer - Skill - 10 Stamina - 17

So my science officer is the go to guy for computers, I think I need to personalise them a bit so I will give everyone names.  Although just like the book ill change them just enough to not be sued by the Roddenberry estate.  So the science officer will be called Splock.

Medical Officer - Skill - 8 Stamina - 19

Well better not get into any scrapes as our doctor is not the best.  More like your local GP level rather than the cream of the Astro Navy.  Dr Walkers is his name.  Affectionately known though by his friends as Skins.  Splock and Skins do not get on.

Engineering Officer - Skill - 8 Stamina - 19

It does not tell me what the Engineering officer is good for.  With Skill 8 though he will be left on the ship more often than not.  His name is Hamish as everyone knows you need a Scottish engineer.  But no he is not ginger!  (I'm Scottish so I can say these things). 

Security Officer - Skill - 8 Stamina - 18

Lieutenant Wharf is our security officer.  His job is to help me in the actual fighting if it comes to that.  Although with Skill 8 ill probably be left to do most of it.

Security Guard 1 - Skill - 12 Stamina - 22       Security Guard 2 - Skill - 7 Stamina - 19

You get a couple of security guards as well!  Everyone knows though that Red Shirts do not get names so they will be Red Shirt 1 and Red Shirt 2.  It appears Red Shirt 1 is actually the most competent person on board.  How he has not risen to the ranks of the security officer rank I have no idea.  I can only imagine its office politics.  Red shirt 2 though is useless.  He clearly has got the job through nepotism with Lieutenant Wharf.  If we ever make it back home I will make a point of speaking to the Admiral about this.

Luck - 12

Well we are a very lucky crew by the looks of it.  Apart from being sucked into a black hole.  Interestingly the notes describe luck as an act of god or even the force!  George Lucas IP lawyers at the ready.

So before we can begin we have some extra rules as well.  If the science, medical or engineering officer get in a fight then they have a minus three penalty to skill scores.  We also have a beaming down to planets section where we have to pick an away team basically.  Here I am told that Splock is a problem solver, Skins is a doctor, Hamish understands mechanics and geology and the rest are fighters.

Every time we beam back on board we get to regain two stamina points providing my medical officer is still alive.  If any of my team die then their assistants are promoted in their place.  They have -2 skill compared to their mentor though. 

Well not the best crew in the world but I will hopefully carry them through with my brilliance.  Time to go where no geek with a book, two dice and a pen have gone before.




So something is wrong with the engines and we are going to crash into the Seltsian Void, a black hole.  We decide on a plan of using the gravity to slingshot away.  It appears to work and everyone starts to celebrate.  Not me though.  You don't get to skill 12 by not seeing things through to the end.  We get sucked in and everyone loses consciousness.  Splock says we are now in a region of uncharted space.  Eventually the warp drives come back on and I get to make my first choice.  Three star systems, two life bearing, one no life signs.  So its basically left, right or straight ahead.

This is apparently the moment you get sucked into the black hole.  Background done by unknown seven year old child.

We go straight on and arrive at blue planet.  Scanners show the main population centre is a city on an island and I pick my first away team.  I decide to take Splock, Hamish and Skins.  My theory is if we get in a fight I will take care of it myself.  We beam down onto a large road and get the options to visit a large building investigate the smaller ones or keep going down the road.

The illustration for my choice.   Not much help.  

I decide to go and visit the big building.  Apparently this door markings mean its clearly a building of importance.  I have no idea how I could possible come to that conclusion.  We go in and its full of a mis mash of aliens and when I ask to be taken to someone in charge I am told no one is and instead get a tour of the place.  We are told there are no laws and anyone can do anything they want.  Me being the sarcastic kind of captain point out then why do you need guards then?  I am told that they are people who like fighting people and they dress up as guards to let others know to be careful.  Of course three of these guards jump us.  It was here that I realised I had made quite a mistake with my away team.  You see instead of everyone lining up to fight me one on one it descended into a mass brawl and my team got beat up bad as they waited for me to finish fighting whomever I was dealing with.  Nobody died but Splock was down to 7 stamina and both Hamish and Skins were down to 11.  Even I took a few hits!

After the fight we go to the map room, we look at some start charts and learn about the planet Trax but nothing useful.  We beam back up and all head to sick bay.

Now I head to the next world, no sign of life but the world is covered in canals and roads.  Do you want to beam down?  Of course I do.  I head down with red shirt 1 and my engineering officer.  

When we get down everything looks advanced but covered it dust.  Very suspicious.  Then this guy show up.

Hello good sir can you help us get home?

As we exchange pleasantries all of a sudden he is shot down, by one of my own team as well.  He claimed the alien had a weapon and was about to attack me.  Neither myself or other crew mate had seen this.  Something was up.  I beam the alien back up to the ship to try and help him.  But he never makes it.  The strangeness keep ramping up as we are attacked by some machine guns.  We all hit the deck but no one else can see the bullets.  They think I am crazy and we move on.  We enter a building and despite being an alien planet in another universe I am able to work the computer.  Looking for history I find nothing but luckily red shirt 1 finds some information of a black hole in sector 288!  Delighted we decide to beam back up and I am non the wiser on the strangeness of this planet.

I decide to next head to toward the purple star but on the way I get a call from the language lab.  Wait a language lab?  We really are fully kitted out.  Anyway I picked up a newspaper on the last planet and they were able to decode it.  Turns out their was a cold war between two factions and they developed a hallucinatory drug that was deemed so dangerous they decided to fire it into space.  But the rocket blew up and covered the planet in the drug.  Explains all the crazy that happened.

Near the purple sun we find another planet with life.  I can beam down with one security guard (mmm let me think which one for a second) and one other person.  I am told it looks to be a civilization more advanced than our own.  Because of that I decide to take Splock.  Again the world is pretty empty with advanced looking buildings.  A hover car appears to come towards us but a lizard alien appears from one of the buildings and tells us to come over quick.  Its at this point I realise we have a translator which lets me understand the aliens.  Pretty good tech that can translate an alien language that's never been encountered into english for me.

What a choice.  I think Ill go with my new insect friend.  Although always wanted a hover car.

Turns out we are on Cuemater where no one dies and we just escaped from the population controllers (PCs).  Nobody dies so they have to cull the population and as we were outside during curfew they would have killed us.  Well they smash down the door and fry my insect friend and tell us to follow them outside.  I get the option for phaser combat but when I read the rules it sounds if you miss then they get a chance to one shot kill you.  I decide to pretend to comply and jump them, now that I have the walking army that is red shirt 1 with me.  It does not go well as instead of combat we are overpowered.  But we do remove the helmet from one of the PC's in the scuffle and he stops dead until someone else puts the helmet back on.   I am told this gives me a -2 skill test bonus later on with this knowledge.

We are taken back to a building and thrown in jail.  We get a few escape options.  I elect to contact the ship so they can just beam us straight out.  In bad news the signal is jammed.  In good news it stops the PCs in their tracks.  They cant move.  Instead of just leaving the comms on and escaping I am told we might use it later.  We are taken to a room where I am asked if I have my science officer or if I have used my communicator.  I have both so no idea which one I have to pick.  I decide to go with the communicator option and again they all freeze.  We run around and find their comms room.  After just hammering all the buttons we get through to the Traveller and they beam us back up.  Not before we remove a helmet and find its a world of androids!  The helmet gives me +1 skill and I start sulking about initial skill.  This is when I realise there is no initial skill here.  A quick flick through the rules and nothing about it!  Excellent Skill 13 it is for me.  

Next planet along and we beam down.  Red Shirt 1, Splock and Hamish.  We are greeted by some spear wielding primitives. 

 
Have I arrived at Firetop Mountain?

So I wait for them to come up and they take me to the village Eldar.  There I ask about the planet which is called Cliba.  They are around middle age earth in development but its been raining for a long time and the crops have sickened.  Sounds like Aberdeen so I should be right at home here.  Anyway they think they are being punished by a man called the rain lord who lives in a castle so we offer to pay him a visit.  We walk up to talk to the guard and I am immediately captured and take to the rain lord.  Who lives in the middle of a giant computer!

I've been expecting you Mr Bond.

Turns out his name is Bran-Sel and he settled here after a deal for planet control system went wrong.  The locals see him as some kind of god and he has been controlling the weather to help them.  Alas the system has broke and now its torrential rain every day.  No problem as Splock is with us and he has a look at the kit and one very close skill roll later he has fixed the problem.  In thanks he allows us to use the computer which tells us to approach any black hole at warp speed 3!

Back on board and everyone is back to full strength.  Which is just as well as I have only been in one combat so far.  Next we make it to a small grey planet.  No life signs but something is going on.  So we beam down and find a crashed ship.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

They find nothing, which was very anti-climatic.  But as the landing party return I am told 3 people in engineering have died suddenly.  They were all involved docking the ship that has returned.  So I quarantine the crew but people still die, luckily not Hamish!  Splock figures it out that we need to shut down engineering and it works.  Now I get the choice to ask the medical officer to find a cure or pump out the air.  Looking at Dr Walkers medical skill score and its not great so we go with the air plan.  It works!

I then head over to a red planet.  On the comms they introduce themselves as the planet Dar-Vil.  They look aggressive but I decide to go down anyway.  So me, Splock and Red Shirt #1 head down.  

And don't know what I said to them but they do not look happy.

So in what appears to be utter incompetency I have been beamed into one of the Dar-Vil guards and now our bodies are merged.  We head back to the ship to find out how to separate us.  I ask Splock for ideas and pass the skill test.  But the paragraph reads like I failed it.  So I look back to see the result of failing and its a success.  Terrible editing there.  So I decide to ask the Dar-Vil commander who speaks to his experts.  We decide to try a simultaneous beaming and it works.  And with that we say well done and goodbye.

Next we arrive at a space port but get a warning message not to dock so I don't and head along to the next planet.  We make contact in orbit and they tell me its a mining planet but we are welcome to beam down and enjoy the games that are on just now.  Alas we do not quite catch the coordinates, and despite being a super advanced starship we do not have the ability to listen back and its a 50/50 guess.

By this stage my away team is pretty standard.  Me, Splock and red shirt #1.  We meet our contact but he has to rush away.  Eventually a robot appeared and asked us to follow it.  I said no thanks and it zapped us.  We wake up in a cell and I get the chance to explain what's happened to the guard.  So again I pass the test and I get the failed paragraph so I flip back and go to the failed paragraph and its one for passing.  This is really poor editing.  So I take the option since I passed the test.  The guard calls our contact and he says yes its all true.  He appears and apologises for the misunderstanding, he invites us to stay and watch the games.  Not wanting to leave empty handed I agree and we are taken... straight into the gladiatorial pit to fight the manslayer robot.  Sigh.  The Robot is skill 10 and can fight all three of us at once.  That's ok me and Red Shirt #1 have got this, except we don't and it hit us all before I get a hit in.  Its then I'm told the stamina 4 is not as bad as it looks as after a hit i must then roll a 5 or 6 to take 1 point of stamina off.  

What follows is the longest battle I have ever had.  As we constantly pound on the robot, can I roll a 5 or 6.  Nope.  It must have been very boring for everyone to watch but eventually I assume the robot runs out of fuel and just gives up as i manage to roll four 5 or 6s.  

As a reward we get to go to the astronomical headquarters and they tell us the black hole we need is in sector 083.  So it was worth that huge battle.
 
Next we arrive at a small grey planet, scanning shows no sign of life so I decide to press on.  The next planet does show signs of life so I beam down again.  This time taking Hamish as Splock is a bit hurt.  

We are floating in the sky, but this civilization has clearly not heard of HSE, where are the safety rails?!

I am led away by one of the children and discover they are in charge.  They are hyper intelligent from birth but as they grow older they become senile.  I ask for help getting home and a bargain is struck.  There help for access to technical information of the starship.   I agree and get told that we need to go through the black hole on stardate 21.  Nothing bad seems to happen when they come aboard to look at the ship so hopefully I did the right thing.

At this point the crew decide we have been at this long enough and its time to go home.  The book asks if I have the information needed, I have no idea.  But I know if I say no the crew will revolt.  I have some information so I will give it a go.  I have to subtract the time information from the location.  Hmm I have to locations - 288 and 83 and one time information 21.  So much for warp speed.  I go for 83 as it seemed a better bet and more hard won information.  We find a black hole, but its not the right one and we never make it through, failure and death.

Notable Moments -

Each of the planets act as a mini adventure.  Some very mini.  But I did enjoy some of the takes on civilization theory I came across.  The world where no one is charge and you can do anything you want sounds great in theory but it does not work.  Culematter with their population control and run by androids is interesting and I liked the feral world with the out of control rain where the rain master was some kind of Wizard of Oz figure.

Some I missed through are work a mention though.  You can run into the Ganzig federation ships a couple of times which can go multiple ways, from space combat to diplomacy.  There are a couple of space stations, one bigger than the other.  You can even go to the space pub in one of them and get into a brawl.

Starship Travellers version of the M8 services.  

There is also a planet which seems friendly but it is being torn apart by a star so they try and trick you into giving up your ship.  How do they do this?  By cloning you!  

Do not trust this lady.

Not everything happens on planets and star systems though.  The virus that rips through your ship is well done and so is an incident when one of your crew goes mad and you have to deal it.

Artwork - 

So illustrator is Peter Andrew Jones who also did the cover which I do like.  I hate to say this though but this has to be some of the worst art I have seen.  I always remember the art really helping tell the story when I was a kid, those were my favorite parts.  However in Sci-Fi its even more important as you can imagine most fantasy but alien worlds need to be well illustrated to help us see what the author means.

The art in my playthrough is probably the best of the lot.  That first page art to start the adventure, my god, space is drawn by just pen circles!

Look at it!!!  I hope the did not pay much for this.

A lot of it you have no idea what going on.  Don't believe me?  Let play a game.


Is this - 

A)  An alien insect in its natural habitat
B)  A welcome ritual from an alien species
C)  One of your own crew randomly deciding to drink some alien planet water

Is this - 

A)  Inside a black hole
B)  A detailed rendering of a jungle planet
C)  Something has spilled over the original picture


Is this -

A)  An interdimensional version of Zagor's maze
B)  A teleporter 
C)  What happens when you eat strange space plants and start losing your mind


 
Is this - 

A)  Flying space aliens
B)  A game of space snooker
C)  The Starship Traveller flying into a meteor shower


What is happening here, is it - 

A)  An intergalactic disco
B)  A game of space twister
C)  Your crew trying to stop another crew member who is going a bit crazy


OK last one I promise, is this - 

A)  A spaceship of some kind
B)  A random assailant shooting at you, missing and hitting a wall
C)  An exploding erm, i don't know I am out of ideas and cant even figure out what I am looking at

There is no way to say this nicely but the art is really, really bad.  I still think I lucked out on my playthrough where I got the best of the art.  Still not great but better than some of this.  I just find it really disappointing as it really adds nothing to the gamebook.

Looking through to find something decent I might have missed and all I have got is this - 

The service robot actually looks good.  Background is nothing but that is the least of our worries this time.

The Big Bad -

Oh dear, only four books in and the format is under threat.  two books in a row without a big bad.  The journey home is just that, searching for help.  Nobody is trying to stop you.  Maybe if the Ganzig federation were more fleshed out.  Maybe the black hole which threw you into this galaxy instead.  Maybe it could be the terrible art.  Anyway I might have to revise this section if this continues.

Menagerie -  

With a new universe and multiple planets the options for new enemy encounters was huge.  But, its a bit sparse.  There are Squinn's on the jungle planet which sound very strange and would have been great for an illustration.  There is a fight between an Eagle and a Ganzigite as well.  So the only battle of note is with the Manslayer robot which is a bit different with having to roll a 5 or 6 to make your hits count.  I can see why he is on the cover as not much else going.

Looking through all the encounters most are Guards of various shapes and forms, or the aliens you meet and you take more violent options when dealing with them.  So many guards!  This is a massive missed opportunity but to be fair maybe combat was only secondary to Steve Jackson for this one.  You can win this gamebook without fighting anyone.  Shame I had to roll stats for three security personnel for fighting! 

Entertaining Deaths - 

Hands down the best one is the fantastic decision to beam down to a world of pure water, where you promptly drown.  Even better its got an illustration -

And its as absurd as the death.

I cant remember an instant death having an illustration before!  Other good ones are if I had picked the wrong option when I was trapped in a body of the Dar-Villian I would have been turned into pure energy.  You can also get strangled to death by plants on the jungle planet when trying to find food for the crew.  Or you can be trapped on a world with your entire crew that will be destroyed in a year.  Most of the time though you go into the wrong black hole like I did.

Pete's Corner - 

Don't trust aliens!  Or land on their planets!



Final Thoughts - 

Well where do I start?  After so much potential it ended up more like this - 


Which pretty much summed up the book as a whole.  I was really excited to start with, rolling up stats for a ship and entire crew, visiting different planets.  But after a while it just kind of goes a bit flat.  Lets start with the big problem.  This book is only 340 paragraphs long, as opposed to the normal 400.  I could forgive this if it was because the paragraphs had more detail in them, especially to help describe unique aliens and the environments.  But that is not the case.  Add to that another wasted 20 or so paragraphs on a terrible maze and you have 80 paragraphs missing that could have been used to flesh out the planets and the stories and make more unique aliens and encounters.

You see there are a lot of good ideas.  I really like a lot of the ideas for each planet but before it can develop the adventure is over and you are back on the ship.  It a shame as developing some of these into larger stories would really have gone a long way to improving the overall experience.

When it came to all the stats I initially thought this was great.  But it did not really pan out that way.  The ship stats I never used and looking through the book their is hardly any ship to ship combat, which is a shame.  I did not have one luck roll either.  Then we come to the crew.  At first I thought this was great but it didn't really work out.  It can lead to some absurd situations where your head of security is worse in a fight than the doctor.  It was a good idea but did not work.  What would have been better is to have a predefined crew.  That way you could have developed more of their characters and also made the part of choosing who to beam down with more interesting.  As it was I just went with who had the most skill rather than who would be most useful.

Another problem of course is the awful art.  It just adds nothing to the adventure.  And if you make it home you get rewarded with this - 

Space background provided by class year 2

Just terrible.  And the end setup as well, basically your crew start despairing of ever getting home and as such start commiting suicide!  So they force you to go through any black hole.  I feel a good captain would keep everyone in check by saying look we have only been here a few weeks tops and look at all the data we already have!  Give me a few more weeks to check the rest of the planets and then we can be 100% sure of getting home.  Rather than just blindly flying into a black hole!  Idiots.  This could have been sorted by saying they were out of food or something like that.
 
Ian (knocks on door and enters cautiously) - "Hey buddy how is it going?"

Steve (frantically hiding the sorcery spellbook) - "Good thanks, great in fact."

Ian "I must admit I thought it was impossible to do a universe in 400 paragraphs."

Steve "What do you mean?"

Ian "Well its just so limiting, I mean we could just about fit in a castle."

Steve "Actually its going to have space ship combat, lots of planets, and a whole crew to control!"

Ian "And you managed that in 400 paragraphs?"

Steve "Easy!  And in fact to make it more of a challenge, I will do it in 340!"

Ian (Slowly backing out and closing the door)  "Ok, ok, ill leave you to it."

Steve (Shouting) "Ill even put in a maze! Mwhhahah"  Jots down note saying crew are despairing, fly through black hole now before discarding it and going back to writing Sorcery.

Oh that bloody maze, its such a waste of space and the worst part, its crucial.  You need to get there to get a vital coordinate and its got a 50/50 chance of instant death.  Its pretty unmappable as well, unless its 3D but I couldn't do it.

Anyway I think Starship Traveller can be summed up as untapped potential.  I feel if this was rewritten it could really be something but as it stands its a series of great ideas that have not been quite realised. 

Score - 3 out of 10


  




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Phantoms of Fear

Background -  A small English country pub in the rural countryside, a twenty minute drive from the industrial metropolis of Puffin HQ.  Ian ...