Deathtraps and Dungeons

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Season 1 Review

 

Well that's been ten books so this is a good point to call that season 1.  I would just like to say I really enjoyed each book.  I know I made a lot of jokes during all the playthroughs and pointed out massive plot holes and funny art.  But I would just like to say what Ian and Steve did, and everyone involved in the process (artists, editors, fake Steve), were fantastic.  It was something new and they should be applauded that they created something that we are still talking about more than thirty years later.  Its easy to criticize and very hard to create.  It had a massive impact on many kids, including myself. 

We used to visit the local library and just scan it for new Fighting Fantasys.  When Titan came out it was so popular if you knew someone had it you would find out when it was due back in the library and a mass of kids on bikes would descend on the library to try and be the next one to get it.

Fighting Fantasy was so popular that the library had to introduce a reserve system to allow people to get on a waiting list for the books.

If you had this you were the most popular person going.

Then we went into secondary school and such nerd like behavior just got you bullied.  But now of course the nerd rules the world!

Anyway just wanted to say any micky taking is done just for fun and that I am extremely thankful for the superb work that went into making these gamebooks.

Now enough gushing lets have some fun, what does the internet love?  Lists.

Top 10 Ranking - 

Ok looking back at my scores ill put them in that order and then for ties ill go with which I prefer.

1. Deathtrap Dungeon

2. City of Thieves 

3. Citadel of Chaos

4. House of Hell

5. Scorpion Swamp

6. Island of the Lizard King

7. Forest of Doom

8. Warlock of Firetop Mountain

9. Caverns of the Snow Witch

10. Starship Traveler

Some tough choices in the middle there.  But as I said earlier, I actually enjoyed parts of them all.

Deathtrap is number one for me though.  I did actually own it so played it so much as a kid, I think that tints it quite a bit for me.  It should not work with its tough combat and so many instant deaths but it does work because it fits the theme.  

City follows closely, like deathtrap helped by fantastic art.  A lot of these adventures can feel quite lonely so being in a bustling city was such a refreshing change.  Yeah its got the daft shopping list but the writing is such a step up it really stands out.

Citadel and House of Hell both got 7 out of 10 for me.  And I really found it hard to split them.  I think Citadel is an underrated gem and introduces magic in just the second book.  House of Hell meantime is so clever and I love the lack of combat, fear score and layout of the book.  But Citadel pips it for one reason for me.  The epic boss fight with Balthus Dire.

Scorpion, Lizard King and Forest all got 6.  This was a bit easier for me as I had to give the nod to Scorpion Swamp.  As disappointed in the story as I was the sheer technical achievement of freedom of movement has to be applauded.  It really made my playthrough better and although people complain on ease, I am not having it, its the only one where you feel like a sandbox game and can free roam.  

Lizard King on the other side, I found it a bit of a drag and very linear.  But it has a very good story and some epic moments with the grand battle with the miners and the forces of the Lizard King.  Also the Gonchong!  

I feel Forest though I may have rated a bit too high looking back.  But I did enjoy it more than Warlock.  I enjoyed the outdoor setting.  The forest itself I was able to believe I was trekking through and I liked the change in mission.  Also the introduction of Yaztromo!  But its let down by the ability to start again and everything resets.  Just have a bad end where the hill tolls sack Stonebridge.

So here we come to the controversial part.  I have Warlock quite low down.  And I am going to say it, its not that great when compared to the books that came after.  Its a bland story, the motivation makes little sense, the lair makes no sense and the Maze of Zargor is possibly the most frustrating part of any gamebook.  Its probably not the best book to start new people into gamebooks either.

So why is it so popular.  Easy, its the most important gamebook in the franchise.  Its come first.  Without it none of the rest see the light of day.  Its a technical exercise where Ian and Steve work out what's possible and use it to improve on everything they do after it.  So it has a special place in our hearts and you know what?  It absolutely deserves it, I will never get tired of playing it due to how important it is.

Caverns also got a 5.  Its frustrating though as there is a good story and gamebook in there.  Have a look at the review to see my feelings on how it could have been excellent.

So poor old Starship is bottom of the pile.  Its a shame as I was really excited to start with.  Rolling up a crew and stats for your ship got me.  But its really hamstrung by its short length and poor supporting art.  Some of the set pieces are fascinating such as the weather world.  But its also got a terrible maze in it which there was no need for.  Again though, bin some of the encounters and fully develop some of the better worlds and put in another 80 paragraphs and you could have had something here.  But compared to the others it really struggles as it is.

But just to be clear here.  I do not think any of the books were terrible.  I can point to parts I really enjoyed in each of them.

Awards Show - 

I hope this gets everyone talking.  But here is my Best and Worst in each category.

Cover - 

Best - 

I love this one.  Nothing says Fighting Fantasy more than this cover to me.

Worst - 

Yeah it has to be this one.

What, you thought it would be a US cover?  Wash your mouth out with such vileness.  They are without exception magnificent.  

Premise - 

Best - 

I have to give this one to City of Thieves.  I just find the the panic for everyone to get indoors before nightfall really atmospheric.  Especially when you are staying in the tavern and you can here the moon dogs sniffing around.  

Worst - 

Has to be Warlock, but it was the first and the guys clearly still finding there feet.  Just makes you look like the bad guy!  I almost gave it to Forest.

Artwork -

Best - 

Lets be honest I could go for so many here.  Tough to narrow down but I had to narrow it down to my personal fav, Ian McCaig.

The start of Deathtrap Dungeon, so much detail here and really sets the scene for the book.

 Worst - 

Sorry it has to go to Starship Traveler and the terrible squiggly lines for space.

I would like to prefix this with the fact this is still much, much better than anything I could muster.  For example try and work out which FF titles these efforts drawn by myself are.




I feel with me behind the pens Fighting Fantasy might not have been quite as successful.  

The Big Bad -

Obviously I could only pick ones for books that had a big bad!

Best - 

Could it be anyone else?

Balthus Dire is such an epic confrontation, if you ever get to him.  So many different ways for this to play out and it feels like an epic end battle in a movie.

Worst - 

Sorry Snow Witch.

Meeting the Snow Witch half way through, you cant fight her, need a specific item and of course finally defeat her long before the end of the book in a deadly game of rock, paper, scissors.

Menagerie - 

For this one I think ill go with best non boss enemy encounter and worst.

Best - 

Wait not the Bloodbeast?

Yes not the Bloodbeast.  I actually prefer the encounter with Throm.  Its built up well as you help each other through the Dungeon and the fact he is drugged and you are forced to fight to the death really is a sad moment but makes you hate the Trial Master even more.

Worst - 

Complete Nonsense!

Skill 12!?  For a random encounter in the plains that you cant avoid.  The Birdman is even more hated than seagulls.

And Finally, Most entertaining Death Award goes to -

Eating too much Cheese and Wine in House of Hell.

Honorable mentions - Going into Zanbar Bones tower, finding a bedroom and deciding to go to sleep for the night and selling the magic ring to Poomchukker for 100 gold and not bothering with the game.

Final Thoughts - 

These are of course just my personal opinion.  Let me know what your awards would look like in the comments.  I have really enjoyed doing these and hopefully have provided people with some entertainment and amusement.  The Fighting Fantasy community is really impressive.  Thanks to everyone that's left a comment here or in the forums.  And special thanks to Murray at Turn to 400 whose blogs inspired these ones and to see him come back after so long was fantastic and also encouraging me to keep going with mine.

Now I am off to Ebay to get the books for Season 2!






8 comments:

  1. the Maze of Zargor is possibly the most frustrating part of any gamebook

    Any FF gamebook, maybe. But there's another gamebook I know of that has an even more annoying maze - and then goes on to insult you when you finally make it through the wretched thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, you have blown my mind! I was obsessed with Lemmings back in the day. Playing it on an Atari ST, was an amazing game. No idea it had a gamebook, I would have been all over that. Although reading your review and seeing your map I think ill stick to the computer versions.

      Delete
  2. Death by Ganges in Citadel is one that I remember from childhood. Falling out the window and being given the option to cast a levitation spell, but then finding that it doesn't work. The sort of 'false option' that you pointed out Steve used a lot in House of Hell.

    I am really enjoying your write-ups and am delighted that you are pushing onwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Mike, that false hope you get with the levitation spell is just cruel. Thanks for the feedback Mike and thanks for the support!

      Delete
  3. I've just read through your entire blog in a single sitting, and it's all great stuff. I totally agree with your rankings. Iain McCaig is indeed king - and the only artist to feature in a gamebook, in the guise of Murkegg (get it?) from Temple of Terror. And Warlock does kind of suck when set against the later, single-authored books - it's like one of those old Edwardian plane designs that's half steam-powered. And, best of all, it looks like you lured Murray at TurnTo400 back to his keyboard - that is an awesome achievement in its own right, and one to equal giving Balthus Dire a dirtnap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben! Glad I could provide some entertainment! Will keep an eye out in Temple of Terror. Great analogy with the plane! Its amazing for its time and deserves its place in the museum but you would not fly in it today!

      Delete
  4. So are you going to do Season 2? Or have you retired?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appear to have to have been distracted by some side projects! Built a new game- www.fantasyclash.co.uk and a lot of time building a game world, rules etc. I was going to look at a kickstarter but that is a mountain of work! So ive converted it to tabletop simulator. Elden Ring also not helping! However Talisman of Death has arrived....

      Delete

Phantoms of Fear

Background -  A small English country pub in the rural countryside, a twenty minute drive from the industrial metropolis of Puffin HQ.  Ian ...